08 May 2007

Braised Chicken and Roasted Asparagus

At first glance tomatoes and cilantro seem an unlikely combination, but I couldn't have been more pleased with the flavors that came together once everything was slow cooked. The puree of garlic, onions, and cilantro melded with the tomatoes, making for a wonderfully deep and mellow sauce that simultaneously felt rich and tasted fresh on the tongue. It's a chicken recipe I'm filling away and will definitely make again if I can remember it.

While the chicken was cooking on the stove, I roasted my first asparagus of the season in the oven. I like to keep my asparagus simple—olive oil, salt, and pepper. Sometimes I'll toss a few lemon wedges in the pan, but I didn't this time around. I love asparagus, and the first taste of them after a long Winter is always a joy. I had to stop myself from eating all those sweet green stocks pictured left at dinner so I would have a few to pack up in my lunch the next day.




HEARTY BRAISED CHICKEN LEGS

Ingredients

3 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 whole chicken legs, cut into thighs and drumsticks (2 pounds)
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
3/4 pound white mushrooms, quartered
3 garlic cloves
1 medium onion, quartered
1/2 cup cilantro leaves
1 cup tomato sauce

DIRECTIONS

In a very large skillet, heat the vegetable oil. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add to the skillet, skin side down. Cook over high heat, turning once, until browned, about 8 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate and pour off all but 3 tablespoons of the fat. Add the mushrooms to the skillet and cook them over moderate heat, undisturbed, until they begin to brown on the bottom, about 2 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a food processor, puree the garlic cloves with the onion and cilantro leaves. Add the garlic and onion puree to the mushrooms and cook over moderate heat until very fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the tomato sauce. Return the chicken legs to the skillet and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer the sauce until the chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes. Season the braised chicken legs with salt and pepper, transfer them to plates and serve with the sauce.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Lisa Fain (Homesick Texan) said...

I love the combination of tomatoes and cilantro--so fresh and lively!

5/09/2007 7:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, hearty. I love hearty meals.

Paz

5/12/2007 3:07 AM  
Blogger Blue Plate said...

hello homesick texan,

i thought it an unusual paring, but i was wrong. now i'm a fan of the tomatoes and cilantro combo, too.

thanks for reading.

blue plate



hi paz,

totally, hearty works for me, too. it's probably why i like stews and braised dishes so much.

: ) blue plate

5/14/2007 1:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home