11 April 2007

Big Apple Brunch

I like simple things done well; they achieve elegance in their simplicity that's near perfection. Such was my brunch at Prune in New York City—almost flawless and wholly good.

I was in New York last week for a conference—yet another, but final one for the year. Determined to enjoy every moment in the Big Apple since I hadn’t been back in years, I had my heart set on having a lovely weekend brunch to kick off my perambulation around the city. And I found just what I was looking for tucked in a small street in the East Village.

Prune is a charmingly little neighborhood place that doesn't take reservations for brunch, but fills up quickly and stays full through the day if the Saturday I was there represents the norm. J. and I walked through its door 10 minutes after 10 AM and every table was taken 10 minutes after that.



We decided to split an Eggs Benedict and Dutch Style Pancake, and together they couldn't have been a more ideal combination to share, giving us an opportunity to have savory and sweet. While J. impressed me by popping the poached egg whole in her mouth, I employed a more traditional approach to eating Eggs Benedict, cutting pieces of equal parts salty bacon, soft egg, and chewy bread blanketed in velvety Hollandaise sauce that made me go weak in the knees from the lushness it imparted on my mouth. In contrast was the wonderfully crisp half-moon shaped potato pancake that shared the plate; it was just how I like my potatoes for breakfast, golden on the outside and well cooked in the middle.



The Dutch Style Pancake was a baked affair with slices of apple on top and warm maple syrup served to the side. For a thick, substantial looking pancake, its texture was unexpected light, unlike those heavy flapjacks that can sink your stomach. I usually don't like pancakes because all that cooked batter can weight you down early in the morning, but I enjoyed Prune’s Dutch take. If more pancakes were made in this fashion, I might become a pancake lover.

The longer I sat at my table, the more I was delighted with Prune. If I lived in New York, I would certainly be one of its regular customers. As it is now, I'm a fan from afar.



Prune
54 East 1st St.
(btw. 1st & 2nd Aves.)
New York, NY 10003
ph: 212-677-6221
www.prunerestaurant.com

Pictured right: Prune's Prune Juice, i.e. fresh squeezed citrus juices

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger sue said...

mmm. looks great. i'll have to check it out next time i'm in ny. but, i'm making me a batch of hash browns tomorrow morning...

i'm amazed that j. could fit the entire egg into her mouth! yikes! that must have been quite a feat!!

4/11/2007 11:26 PM  
Blogger Blue Plate said...

i hope you do. i really enjoyed the place. and i can't say enough about its brunch. it was really good.

4/16/2007 12:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home