04 December 2006

Ready, Set, Roast

Roasted vegetables are so easy to do it's a shame I don't make them more often, but I took a step to remedy that situation over the weekend and roasted some red beets and a fennel bulb.

I have a real fondness for beets. It was a love affair that began in childhood, because I was fortunate enough to given "real" beets as oppose to canned beets, making all the difference in the world. Canned beets are a poor representation of their kind and really should be avoid if possible; and once you've eaten fresh beets you'll never go back—I haven't since I was five.

While beets are an old friend, fennel is rather new in my life. I was wary at first, because I don't like licorice candy, but I started slow, sampling sliced fennel from the salad bar. It's mild licorice flavor grew on me. Now fennel is find with me, but I'm still a hold out with the candy.



I peeled and chopped the beets, cleaned and sliced the fennel, tossed everything in olive oil, threw it all on a baking sheet, and sprinkled with salt and pepper. Then I baked it in a 375˚F oven until all was soft and tender.

The roasted veggies shared the plate with a red snapper fillet baked in parchment paper with lemon, olives, artichoke hearts, and capers.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home